Tuesday, February 8, 2011

What every new mom needs to know - Part 2

Do not expect that the outfit you put on in the morning will be the same one you will be wearing at the end of the day
As a mother, you become a living snot rag, burp cloth, barf bag and all-around bodily fluid catcher. Hey, it's part of the job description. {Just a little secret for all you mommies: washing spit up and throw up off the article of clothing right away prevents stains. Also, Zout and a good old fashioned scrub brush will be your best friends.} Carry a burp cloth around with you everywhere. You may find that you actually start feeling naked if that extra piece of fabric isn't hanging on your shoulder.


You know all those things you said you would never do? Weellll........
You've probably heard this one. And I'm sorry to tell you that it's true. You are pretty dang likely to do something you swore you would never do with your children. {Mine: I let her sleep with us on occasion. 3am feedings do crazy things to a woman's resolve.} You may as well get over it now.


Things that disgusted you before - bodily fluids, the smell of poop, messy houses - all become much more bearable as a parent.
Actually, you are likely to have conversations with other parents about bowel movements, kids' eating habits, and contests that usually begin with "Oh, your house looks saintly compared to mine..." Sounds boring, you say? Just you wait . . . . .


You'll be busier than you think.
I know what you're thinking. "It's one little newborn. She'll spend hours everyday sleeping. I'll have tons of time to get stuff done." Right? Not so much. That dear, sweet little newborn will likely fill every waking minute of your time. Whether a diaper needs changing, a tummy needs filling, clothes need changing {they have an endless supply of spit up and impeccable aim}, or attention is being begged for, those little babies do keep you busy. And, on top of being a mommy, you also get to take care of the house, fix meals, and fill any other responsibilities you may have. However, busy as you'll be, you'll find that you wouldn't change a thing.


You need to get out and do something.
Being a mommy is the greatest job in the world. There is absolutely nothing that can compare. However, remember that while it is wonderful and you wouldn't trade it for the world, you still need "me" time. Something a visiting teacher remarked to me once is that we are mommies and we are wives but we are also women. You need to do something to remember that. Like any other job, you need a break once in a while. Even when it was just you and your hubby, you likely needed some girl time. Nothing has changed. You still need it. And don't worry about feeling guilty. You'll be so refreshed that you're baby will probably be glad for it.


Getting a shower - especially getting a shower without a baby in the room - is a luxury.
Actually, let's be real, doing anything you used to do is a luxury. For example, I was thrilled when I was finally able to get back in the kitchen and start cooking. Heck, I even enjoyed the first time I was able to clean the bathroom because I was feeling so lousy after delivery and was busy enough that I didn't get to it for a while {though that joy only lasted for the first time}.


No other person on this planet will draw such emotions out of you in such a short period of time.
Some of you may think that your dear hubbies are the sole title owner of such description. But this could be no further from the truth. When you have a baby, you will probably feel all these emotions within a few short minutes: happiness, frustration, joy, frustration, elation, giddiness, excitement, frustration, anger {admit it, girls, we all have our moments}, exhaustion, elation, frustration. You will have moments you won't know what to do. The next moment will be pure bliss. Going crazy? Maybe. But, really, friends, I think it's just a new mommy high on sleep deprivation and chocolate.


Change is a part of your life.
This may seem a little *duh*. Of course, the first change is that you have a baby. There aren't many other life altering changes that compare. But change doesn't end there. No sirree. You better just hold on to your hat because change is now the name of your sweet, wonderful and previously-laid-back life. Every time you think you've got it figured out, whatever it is, will change. They grow so fast that the only thing to do is enjoy the ride - and the adrenaline rush.


You will suddenly find that you can strike up a conversation with any woman who has been a mother with ease.
Remember all those awkward visiting teaching moments you used to have? Or the times you sat in Relief Society and had nothing to say to the women sitting on either side of you? Er . . .  no? Okay . . . . maybe that was just me.


And lastly, even with all the ups and downs of those first few months, even with all the learning, the uncertainty, the changes . . . . . . . . . . . 
There is nothing else in this world more wonderful than being a mommy.
I promise.

3 comments:

The Rexburgites said...

Fun posts!! I found myself nodding and smiling to myself while I read this, so true-all of it. Thanks for sharing. I have found another thing that I have learned is not to compare my baby to others and what other babies are doing. Every baby is different.

Star said...

Jessica,
I've enjoyed reading your past couple mothering posts. So true. You really capture the phrases, thoughts, and feelings, that become a part of your life as a mother. I really appreciate your honesty in your posts. Sugar-coated posts make me feel like I'm failing as a mother, so it's refreshing to know I'm not alone in being frustrated sometimes as a mommy. Thanks!

Heidi and Nathan said...

I love this post and the last one! It is great to get some advice and info on how things are going to change.