I started this waaaayyy back several months ago but only recently got around to actually finishing it. I started this project on the premise that there are always things that need to be done every once in a while but get forgotten. I also started it because holidays, regular things that always need done, and birthdays were always getting forgotten also. Basically, I needed a memory. So I created one. :D My birthday memory is a different thing altogether and maybe I'll get around to sharing that later. But for now, here is my monthly to-dos.
The basic idea is very simple. I created a document that contains a section for each month of the year. Within each month, there are three different sections: regulars, holidays and extras. Under each section is listed the things that need to be done or the events taking place, etc. My document ended up looking like this:
| Click to enlarge |
So, the first couple of months are pretty simple. I kept it that way because I figure everyone is recovering from the holidays and needs to work back into a routine. But then after that, there are other little things that need to be done. For example, things like shaking your fire extinguishers and cleaning the lint catcher in the dryer are supposed to be done at least twice a year. When was the last time you did either of those things? When did you last check your smoke detectors? How about vacuum under your bed? Yeah, those things always escape me too, with the busyness of everything else we do. Plain and simple, I just forget. So this monthly to-do list is supposed to help me remember to do all those things. The ones I thought of I've spaced out throughout the year. If it needs to be done twice a year, it can be found on my document twice. Anyway, at the bottom of this post I'm going to include the things I've thought that should be done on a periodic basis that will be beneficial to have on my to-do list. If you know of any others, please share them. I could use all the help I can get!
For now, this is February's to-do list:
Regulars {occur & must be done every month}:
- Visiting/Home Teaching
- Attend the Temple
- Menu Plan
- Make card for card group
- Send out birthday cards
- Take care of any party or event planning for the month
- Buy any birthday/holiday gifts
Holidays {for other holidays and daily/weekly observances, click here}:
- Ground Hog Day ~ Feb 2nd
- Lincoln's Birthday ~ Feb. 12th
- Valentine's Day ~ Feb. 14th
- President's Day ~ Feb. 21st
- Washington's Birthday ~ Feb. 22nd
Extras {all the other stuff that should probably be done}:
- Clean out lint catcher in dryer
- Make Valentine's Day cards
- Mail Valentine's Day cards
- File taxes
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
And here is the list of things I've thought of to be put somewhere in my monthly to-do list {in no particular order}:
- Clean lint catcher in dryer {x2}
- Shake fire extinguishers {x2}
- Check smoke detectors {x2}
- File Taxes
- Wash cupboards {x2}
- Rotate 72-hour kits {x2}
- Rotate food storage {x2}
- Vacuum under beds {x2}
- Vacuum under other furniture {couches, chairs, etc.} {x2}
- Plant a garden
- Wash curtains {x2}
- Take yearly photos
- Register for school
- Plan Halloween costumes
- Make Halloween costumes
- Draw Christmas Names
- Take photo for Christmas cards
- Make Christmas cards
3 comments:
What do you mean by regestering for school?????????
I thought you were supposed to clean the lint catcher in your dryer every time you use it? It certainly dries best that way.
This is cool. I would do something like this if I knew I would follow up on it. But I'm a pro at procrastination. However, I do plan on shaking up my fire extinguisher. Didn't know I should do that and just asked Mike why. (HELLO! He's a safety guy! This is what he does! Why doesn't he ever mention things like this to me?!)
Cassa: Some of the things I put on my list may not necessarily apply to our lives right now. They were just things I knew I would have to remember in the future. I could totally see myself forgetting to register my kids for school!
Mal: I should have been more clear about that. You are supposed to clean the lint off the lint catcher each time you use the drier. You're right, everything dries much better that way. However, twice a year you are supposed to wash and scrub your lint catcher. I was told that if you don't do this, the buildup on the catcher could potentially cause fires. Of course, that is potentially, but I'd rather play it safe when it comes to fire. So you just take an old tooth brush and water and scrub until the water runs through the catcher. You might be surprised to find that it won't at first.
Post a Comment