Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Mine is Chrome

Or unpolished chrome, to be more accurate in the telling.

Hello. 
My name is Jessica. 
And I have OCD.

Okay, not really. Actually, I don't know anyone who really has OCD. I mean, let's be honest, most of us probably don't.
Unless you count Monk.
You know, the everything-phobic, OCD detective who always solves every single crime, every single case {except the one that matters the very most in his life}, in a single stroke of genius luck inspiration. All while wiping his hands on antibacterial wipes and straightening every frame and necktie he comes in contact with.

I digress.

I'm not really OCD.
But I do have things I'm slightly OCD about.
Basically some things that have to be just so or it makes me crazy.

Like closet/cupboard/cabinet/outside/inside doors. And all drawers.
They have to be closed.
All the time. 
Even when I'm unloading the dishwasher {which doesn't happen often since that's Dan's job} and I know I have clean dishes that I will remove from the dishwasher and will be going into a cupboard or drawer I was just in . . . I close it anyway. If I see a drawer open, I stop everything I am doing to fix it.
We have this dresser that has balance issues. It doesn't sit straight.
That or every single floor it has ever been on hasn't been flat because it tilts forward.
And the drawers roll open.
And it makes me crazy.
I'd rather see the unfinished pieces of 2x4 sticking out under the dresser than see the drawers open.
And that's saying something.

All chairs always have to be pushed under the table.
Dirty dishes always belong in the sink.  
{This one gets me a lot when I'm cooking. I'll always put a spoon in the sink and then realize I still need it so I get a clean spoon. I tend to use about five times the number of utensils in my cooking than would normally be required because of this.}
My scarf always has to be under my coat.
The pillows always go under the comforter.
The clothes always hang a certain way and in a certain order.
Eehhhhh...........I think I have too many of these.

But the most important of my "OCD" tendencies is chrome.
It must always always always be clean and polished.
When it isn't, I go crazy. When it isn't, I have to polish it and clean it and scrub it and polish it until it sparkles.
So if I come to your house and seem to take an abnormal amount of time in the bathroom, I'm probably fine. I just found the window cleaner and I'm busy polishing.
See this photo? This is an example of what my bathroom faucet would look like if I did not carefully and regularly polish it. It took a lot of self control to allow my faucet to get to this point.
When I wash my hands, I use my arm to turn off the faucet so I don't get any water spots on it. If a stray drop of water should try to house itself on my chrome, it gets cleaned off right away with a towel.
For a lot of years, I just always tried to polish every chrome fixture we had after my immediate use. Take the towel and polish off the hard water spots. Scrub off the fingerprints. For a lot of years, I just dealt with the dirty, spotty chrome. 
And it always made me crazy.
So I finally decided to do something about it.

I begged pleaded coerced recruited Dan to do the exact same thing I do.

And you know what?
He does.
And you know what else?
My chrome is beautiful.
And I am a very happy woman.
Always.

This is a beautiful, beautiful thing. Yes, there still a couple of spots that I absolutely cannot remove no matter how hard I try. They are there and I try to live with them. But most of this faucet, it is shiny and beautiful. And I love it.

Does anyone else have those tendencies of things that always have to be just right, exactly the way you want, or it makes you crazy?
Or maybe Monk and I are the only ones.

5 comments:

Brian and Kayla said...

Oooooh I bet Nina loves having you around! This kind of thing is right up her alley!

Mal said...

Actually a lot of the things you listed are like me: tossing spoons into the sink 'cause that's where dirty dishes go, closing cabinets and drawers, pushing chairs in (even in huge classrooms when I'm a student just heading out the door, I'll stop and push in every chair I pass if it's not already). I also hate when my plants grow a little lopsided, as in there're more leaves on one side than another. That's not as easy to fix...

Tari said...

Probably my only big "have to" is how the laundry is folded. Adam helps me fold laundry sometimes, which I'm always grateful for because I hate folding laundry- especially whites, but some things are never folded exactly the way I want. Sometimes I succeed in just ignoring it and putting them away, but other times I just re-fold them.

Wendy and Spencer said...

I was shining my bathroom faucet and noticed it was getting blacker under my sponge... the metal was peeling off! Cheap faucet!

Jessica :) said...

Kayla: Nina and I have always gotten along swimmingly when it comes to cleaning. There are some things she wants done that I don't usually think about, but my obsession with making everything I clean super pretty does make her happy. :)
Mal: I am sooo glad I'm not the only one who tosses dirty spoons in the sink when I still need them! It drives Dan crazy.
Tari: I understand. Most of our clothes we just hang and this eliminates a lot of problem. However, my towels have to be folded a certain way.
Wendy: That would make me so mad!