Friday, February 25, 2011

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Jane EyreJane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I have to admit that it took me awhile to like this book. I always adore the lyrical and romantic language of authors such as Charlotte Bronte and Jane Austen, but the story of this book was a little bland at first to me. I felt like it was kind of slow and I got stuck part way through because of the lack of anything going on. So let that be a warning to anyone reading this book. The beginning can be difficult to get through. But then, oh! then the story picks up and I couldn't put it down!

I had an internal struggle with the relationship between Jane and Mr. Rochester. I couldn't like Mr. Rochester at first. He was much too brash for my tastes. But by the end of the book, I like him. As for St. John, I have to say that his is a character I thought I liked at first and then grew to have a difficult time with. Or maybe that was just exasperation at Jane because of the way she was around him.

Although I think parts of this book are slow and not very engaging, for the most part, I adored this book. Some good plot twists, lovely descriptions and characters. Beautiful love story. I've decided I love it!



View all my reviews

4 comments:

Mal said...

Oh, I love this book! (And the miniseries with Timothy Dalton.) But I agree, there are parts that are dry. But the end is beautiful! And Bertha makes a freaky villainess.

Jessica :) said...

I would LOVE to see the miniseries. I told Dan about it last night and he refuses to watch it. He thinks it would be too long. :)
Agree completely that the end is beautiful. I heard some people who didn't like the ending so I was worried, but I thought it was so good. I also agree about Bertha. She was really creeping me out at times!

Wendy and Spencer said...

I am loving your reviews. I love finding a good book! I just finished Jane Eyre. I LOVED it! I had no idea what this book would be about before I started reading so the story and suspense killed me!

Tari said...

I really liked Jane Eyre, too, so I decided to read Wuthering Heights because I was told by someone (who was mistaken) that it was the sequel. I had such a hard time reading it that I never finished. Charlotte's sister just didn't hold my attention as well I guess!