Good Idea:
*Cook your meat and potatoes for tin-foil dinners before wrapping them up in tin foil. Then when it's time to start cooking your dinner up in the mountains around the campfire, the food is already cooked {aka - no more worries about raw meat!} and all you have to do is wait for it to heat up
- Credit: guy Dan works with
{not sure why we never thought of it ... it was a major "duh" to us when we found out}
- Credit: guy Dan works with
{not sure why we never thought of it ... it was a major "duh" to us when we found out}
________
I was super grateful last Friday that Dan and I had learned about this "good idea" this summer. Dan took me on a surprise date up in the mountains last Friday. His intention was to take me up to see the fall colors {which I always love this time of year!}, take lots of pictures and then eat tin foil dinners around a campfire. I had been gone Thursday evening to a blogging interest group for Relief Society and Dan spent the whole time I was gone getting things ready for this date. It was really super sweet! Anyway, things didn't quite turn out like he had planned. The reasons?1) we left about an hour later than he was hoping {which was my fault}
2) the "fall colors" of this area were practically non-existent {I just kept looking for the reds and purples like back home and all we have here is yellow and gold . . . what's up with that???}
3) it gets dark about 3 hours earlier than we are ever prepared for {that's the worst thing about the changing season to winter}
4) it had rained in the mountains so everything was wet {thankfully, though, Dan brought firewood so it wasn't too big a deal that everything was wet, it just made things colder in my opinion}
So, because of those things, I didn't get really any pictures {but it's okay because I still had a great time even without pics!} and it got cold and dark super quick - actually, before the fire was even started ! But luckily for us, Dan learned about this "good idea" from a guy he works with {I can't even remember who} and Dan prepared our tin foil dinners this way so we only had to wait to eat for a few minutes, just until everything was warm, which didn't take too long. It still tasted fantastic and it saved us so much time!

To see more about Good Idea Fridays, click here.
4 comments:
That is so cute! and romantic!
So fun! What a nice husband you have:)
Hmmm... your previous poster doesn't seem to know your husband like I know your husband.... ;-)
Ya know, I should probably just keep my mouth closed (laptop closed? keyboard unplugged??), but I have some issues with cooking your tinfoil dinner first. It clearly worked out well in this situation, but one has to ask: Doesn't cooking the dinner first defeat the purpose of the meal? Why not stop at McDonalds on the way and eat it around the fire? That would be even easier as someone else is doing the cooking! The point of the tinfoil dinner is to cook your dinner in the fire. I have even heard of people throwing their tin foil dinners on the engine of their car, letting them cook along as they went to the BYU football games. They even knew when to pull off the road and retrieve their meals! Do you think they cooked it first? No! I dare say not, for these people are true to their tin-covered dinners!
I admire the boy scouts in our troop that bring their tin foil dinners, raw and ready for cooking. Sure, their mothers could cook the food first and then they would be able to eat that much sooner, but what would they learn from that? Would they have learned that you can't shape your dinner like brick? That it must be fairly flat and thin or it will take forever to cook? Indeed, they would not.
Yes, I think that "easy" is not the objective for a tin foil dinner.
(and that's my rant for today) ;-D
Heidi & Nate, and Mike and Mal: Thank you! It was a fun time and it was really thoughtful of Dan.
Alan: Wow. You really do have opinion about that! :) I believe that if I've already learned how to do something correctly {which I have} and I can then find another way to do that something that will be quicker and more efficient for me in the long run, then it's okay. Perhaps it's cheating, but I don't care. I'm a brat like that I guess! ;) I'm just glad I'm not a scout and you aren't my leader! btw-Dan thought your first sentence was hilarious!
Post a Comment