Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Home Organization Binder

This is one of those posts where I tell you about something I did and then tell you that you must do the same thing because it is that awesome. 
All the cool kids are doing it.
:D

Yes, that means me. 

* * *
Okay, so I decided to document about my home organization binder. I finally got it to where I think it will work for us. There are other things I'm still going to work on adding, but at least now it's functional. I just used a regular ole' three ring binder to house all my important stuff. And yes, this is important stuff. :) Do not let its simplicity fool you.

Here is the front of my binder. I just put some pretty scrapbooking paper on the cover to make it look cute.
The idea behind this binder was to keep me organized. I found the idea at HowDoesShe? and liked it so much that I wanted to create my own. I currently have five tabs, plus some documents in the front. As I explain everything I have in my binder, I'll link up pages and resources that you could use should you choose to create something like this of your own. Some of the pages I found on other websites, some of them I created myself. Just click on the document title {for example, click on "emergency information" found below - that's the title of the document} to see the document I have in my binder.

The documents in the front are:
  • An Emergency Information page. {I got a really great page at Organized Home - which was a great resource in creating this binder! I highly recommend checking out their checklists and organization tips.}
  • A telephone list - this document has emergency numbers {I created this before I found the Organized Home version}, family phone numbers, and numbers for the businesses around town that we frequent.
  • Medical Records chart for each of us - the idea of this is to help us keep track of doctor visits, medications, allergies and blood type. We also hope it will be helpful if ever there is an emergency or something happened to Dan and I. Anyone could look at our medical record charts and see the pertinent information for Liv.
  • A register to keep track of payments & tithing for our duplex and my Voice Studio
  • A First Aid Checklist
 Maybe someday I'll do something different so all that isn't just hanging around in the front, but for now, it works for me.

Then I have the tabs! Is it so crazy that talking about this binder makes me so excited? :/
The tabs I have are:
  • Calendar - Under this tab I have a weekly schedule, a running to-do list, my weekly to-do list, and a recurring monthly to-do list. I also have my monthly to-do list {which I talked about here - but if you click on "monthly to-do list" you'll find I've got a document all made up for you!}.
  • Cleaning - This is where I keep track of all the stuff that has to be taken care of in running a home. I have a Seasonal Jobs Chart {which, I have to say, I already love}, Saturday Projects page, a general stain removal guide and a baby stain removal tips sheet, spring & summer and fall & winter checklists and these cute cards that I'm going to cut out and use when Livie gets old enough to do these things on her own.
  • Cooking - Here is where I put my monthly menu and shopping list {see what I do to create my monthly menu here}, a pantry staples checklist, and, when I get them done, I'll also put here my inventory for freezers, pantries and storage so I always know what I have.
  • Travel - Here I keep our packing list {we created this because we got really tired of taking trips and realizing that we were forgetting something!}, and a before we leave checklist, a camping checklist and a picnic checklist, all of which I found at Organized Home. I think we will also keep under this tab a list of the places we want to visit or vacations we hope to take someday, as well vacation planning documents.
  • Seasonal - This tab is home to everything that is seasonal. I've got a birthday party planner, a December calendar {to keep track of all the stuff going on in December!} and a Christmas card mailing list. Under this tab I will also keep a traditions idea page, a birthday party ideas page, possibly recipes and fun gifts that work really well for holidays, and a gift-exchange tracker for Christmas gift exchanges.
In the back, I've added some home decorating and maintenance ideas to help me keep track of those. 


    Other things I've thought of that I will someday {hopefully} put in my binder are:
    Clothing sizes tracker; Books and DVD's we own; Recommended or favorite websites; Car maintenance schedule and when our kids are old enough to go to school, I'll have school schedules, lunch menus, carpooling schedules, and other school information.


    Whew! That's quite the list! But there you have it, folks! My Home Organization Binder.

    2 comments:

    Alan & Debbie said...

    Jessica, I love the binder idea! Now I just need to find the time to put one together. Thanks so much for sharing!

    The Maughan-sters said...

    LOVE this idea!!!!! I have seen a binder like this and thought about doing it, but it didn't give as much detail as you did...sooooooo THANK YOU!!!!!!!! :) Love the haircut too by the way!

    -Kara