Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Decorating Series: Liv's Room {part 2}

Welcome back to my decorating series.
I'm not actually sure why I made this into a series.
As if I have anything important to say.
But it makes me feel kind of special.
So a series it now is.
:)

So we'll return to the baby's room and the final three walls left after doing the mirror mural {is that what I should call it??}on the accent wall.

Two of the remaining three walls have windows on them so they are difficult to do much with. But, my veins churned a small trickling of that creative juice and on one of the walls {actually, it's kind of the corner}, I came up with this:

That swing in the photo isn't really part of the decor. It jumped into my shot.
So I've got the chair {I know, it doesn't fit the color scheme. It is neither very comfortable nor aesthetically appealing. But it was free. So at this point, I am not caring} with the afghan my mother made for Liv and the giraffe I got at the Hogle Zoo for super cheap.

Next to the chair is a small table to hold the lamp, a picture of the Logan, Utah, temple {per President Monson's suggestion from this past conference - well, actually he was quoting President Spencer W. Kimball} and a nice figurine that I love and don't at the same time.
This is the figurine:

 


See what I mean? It's adoring. The saying is sentimental {and, let's face it, I'm pretty darn sentimental}. The image of mother holding baby is precious. But the color. Ick. Ack. Gross. Actually, if you can believe it, it's already better than it used to be. Imagine, if you will, some overly large silver wings attached to the woman's back. Suddenly it becomes less appealing, right? I managed to get the wings off but now I have to figure out what to do with the color.
Any suggestions?

Above the chair and small table is this:


I decided to keep up with the circles and used small mirrors around that beautiful circle clock you see pictured. I got that clock for the baby shower thrown for me by my aunt and cousin. It fit perfectly with the room.

And that awesome mobile? Oh that was made by my uber-creative and super talented friend, Rachel. She gave that to me at the baby shower she and our other fabulous friend threw for me.
This corner, it is my sanctuary.
If it weren't in my baby's room, I think I would dub it my reading corner.
Maybe I will anyway.

On to the final two walls.
One of the final two walls is all window. There really isn't much wall space. I just about left it alone. You know, adhere to the whole "leave some blank space" theory.
Not because I necessarily believe in that theory.
There isn't really any blank space if it's already full of window, right?
I couldn't think of anything good to do with it.

But then I saw some free prints available on a blog I was following. I don't remember the blog. Sorry. But I got some way fun, whimsical prints for free. I printed them out and hung them right above the window.
Like this:


The final wall is home to the changing table and is a great wall. I really love the wall. Part of it is taken up by the minuscule closet but since it is barely a hole in said wall, it didn't get in the way of my decorating skills.
I got a couple of beautiful vinyl art pieces from Stampin' Up! last year. Sorry, I don't think you can buy them anymore.
I didn't want to stick the vinyl straight to the wall because I knew if we ever moved from this house, I would have to leave my vinyl with it.
That was too sad a thought to bear.
So I came up with a plan.
I bought some 11x13 frames and removed the backing and the glass. Then I recruited my hubby to help me super glue the glass to the frame and after it was dry, I applied the vinyl to the glass. {Now that I've done it, I think I would do it the other way around if I did it again - apply vinyl then super glue glass.} Then we hung them on the wall.
See that empty space to the right of the owl? I want to put a little shelf there. Just a cute little knick knack shelf.
So I can put this on it:
 
 
For now, this stuff just sits on her dresser, which does work just fine. So, for now, Liv's room is finished. :) Whew! That was a lot of work, I tell ya! But now I'm pretty much loving this room. 

Well, come back later to see what kind of shinanigans I've been up to in the other rooms of my house. 

4 comments:

Dawn said...

spray paint is a magical thing that seems to slip my mind when i'm trying to figure out what to do with something that's ugly/cute and Milk glass is a huge trend these days.

Mal said...

It's still hard to get the whole picture. Could you take a shot from the doorway so we can see it all working together?

P.S. I like blue and silver together, so that's what I might paint the figurine if it were mine.

Brian and Kayla said...

Adorable! I don't think your figurine is that bad...at least the red color isn't that bad. You could paint the sliver I suppose. So cute!

Tari said...

I would spray paint the whole statue one color- probably something neutral, like maybe a cream or a tan. Then to spruce it up a bit, I'd take some wood stain in a dark brownish shade and use it to accent the details, such as the saying and the faces, etc. Good luck with the rest of your house! :)