Since we bought our house, I've been excited to decorate.
Now, I have to say, that I know absolutely nothing about decorating. Not a thing.
I don't know what works.
Now, I have to say, that I know absolutely nothing about decorating. Not a thing.
I don't know what works.
I don't know what doesn't.
I don't walk into a room and immediately know what to do with it.
Heck, I don't walk into a room every single day multiple times a day for several months and know what to do with it.
My decorating is about as basic as it gets. Not only do I know nothing about decorating, I also have limited creativity at my disposal. It's sad, but true. I just don't have those creative juices flowing in my veins.
Anyone have some extra juice they want to share?
Anyone have some extra juice they want to share?
{Do you have to practice being creative? I think I am in trouble. How does one practice an art about which they know nothing?}
So regarding my lack of creativity and my poor arsenal of decorating skills, it's really quite humorous that I would be excited to decorate. And actually, until just recently, I've hardly done a thing with my house. I have a few photos hanging in my living room and Livie's room is finally {about} done. Everything else is still a work in progress.
But, as I mentioned, Livie's room is pretty much done.
And I'm soooo proud of how it turned out!
I couldn't be much prouder.
I think I deserve to be proud. Remember my description above, now.
So, anyway, I thought I would share the final photos of Livie's room.
I knew I wanted circles and giraffes.
Pink and brown.
Maybe green.
Some whimsy but not too girly.
And that's what I had to go on.
I knew I wanted circles and giraffes.
Pink and brown.
Maybe green.
Some whimsy but not too girly.
And that's what I had to go on.
In Liv's room, we painted this yellow accent wall. All the other walls are a beige/tan-ish kind of color. It's really quite pretty and it's probably my favorite color in the house. Except maybe the accent wall in our bedroom. But that's not important.
I knew I needed to do something great with that accent wall or it would just end up being a yellow wall. And the yellow ended up being brighter than I thought {I was going for a little paler} so I really had to do something. I saw this idea to use mirrors for decorating {but now I don't remember where I had seen that} and the ideas began churning in my brain. I looked and looked for circle mirrors and finally found some at a craft and frame store. I bought a whole bunch in various sizes and brought them home.
First, I unwrapped them and laid them all out on the floor. Then I arranged them the way I thought they would look good. Then I took a picture. My brain won't just remember. I need help like that.
After properly documenting the exact properties of their arrangement, I put some masking tape on the backs for temporary holding so I could get them situated just right on the wall.
Once they were exactly where I wanted them on the wall, I removed one mirror at a time, removed the masking tape, replacing it with double-sided mounting tape and put the mirror back on the wall.
This is the final result:
Now, whether or not it took me awhile getting around to putting the double-sided mounting tape on those mirrors, I can't say.
I also can't say whether or not any of those mirrors finally tore themselves from the temporary masking tape mount and broke into pieces all over the baby girl's bedroom floor.
I just can't say.
What I can say, is I love those mirrors!
Something about this wall is relaxing for me. I walk in this room and I can literally feel my body relax and I have a calmer spirit. I'm thinking it has something to do with the nature of a circle. What say ye?
But that is just one wall.
What do I do with the remaining three walls of the room?
Well, since this post is already long enough, I have decided to make this part of a series. A decorating my home series!
I know, you're thrilled beyond belief!
This series may or may not include somebegging pleading asking for advise about the areas I've been struggling with.
Come back for more laughs {and to see what I did with the other walls} in a few days.
First, I unwrapped them and laid them all out on the floor. Then I arranged them the way I thought they would look good. Then I took a picture. My brain won't just remember. I need help like that.
After properly documenting the exact properties of their arrangement, I put some masking tape on the backs for temporary holding so I could get them situated just right on the wall.
Once they were exactly where I wanted them on the wall, I removed one mirror at a time, removed the masking tape, replacing it with double-sided mounting tape and put the mirror back on the wall.
This is the final result:
Now, whether or not it took me awhile getting around to putting the double-sided mounting tape on those mirrors, I can't say.
I also can't say whether or not any of those mirrors finally tore themselves from the temporary masking tape mount and broke into pieces all over the baby girl's bedroom floor.
I just can't say.
What I can say, is I love those mirrors!
Something about this wall is relaxing for me. I walk in this room and I can literally feel my body relax and I have a calmer spirit. I'm thinking it has something to do with the nature of a circle. What say ye?
But that is just one wall.
What do I do with the remaining three walls of the room?
Well, since this post is already long enough, I have decided to make this part of a series. A decorating my home series!
I know, you're thrilled beyond belief!
This series may or may not include some
Come back for more laughs {and to see what I did with the other walls} in a few days.
2 comments:
So cute Jess, nice work. So excited to see the rest of it!
Nice idea! I never would have thought of that! I'm with you on decorating...and fashion for that matter. I'm good at the basics but that is as far as I go. And I'm afraid to say that I think it does take practice. Look at magazines, blogs, other homes....experiment with what you have and see what works. Anyone can have a cute house with enough practice.
Post a Comment