Wednesday, January 12, 2011

2011 Resolution & January 2011 Goals

Most of you probably know how I feel about New Year's Resolutions {if you don't, you can click this link and read what I wrote last year}. So I don't make a yearly resolution. Usually, I just ignore the notion altogether, but last year I did something different. I think what I did worked out pretty well. It helped keep me focused and on track with the things that were really important. And the best part was, it lasted all year long. No giving up, not burned out from trying too many resolutions at one time - it was perfect! Last year my resolutions were two-fold: One, slow down & de-clutter my life and two, make an effort to create more memories with my loved ones. Obviously I'm not perfect. But I made progress. I decided to stop worrying about things that weren't super important. Yes, this means that my house isn't always clean. I don't always get my contacts in in the morning. I don't always go to every activity that I could possibly go to. But I'm happier. My family is happier because they are most important and I think they know that.

So I decided that this year I would continue with the same idea. I'm going to set one goal, which will actually be kind of my motto for the year, and I'll apply monthly goals to fit my motto. 

My New Year’s Resolution is actually a quote from President Gordon B Hinckley:  

“Try a little harder to be a little bit better.”
 see Each a Better Person, Oct. 2002

I've found that I am always trying too hard to accomplish too much in too little time. Then I beat myself up when I don’t accomplish what I’d set out to accomplish. So now I’m focusing on a little bit at a time. Picking one thing and working on it for a few days, rather than expecting perfection today. I think if I try just a little each day, focusing on one new thing to help me be better, then I’ll actually accomplish something. The Lord has told us that He will teach us line upon line. I believe this also means that He expects we will change a little at a time. I think I always expect more of myself than I can humanly give and then I get discouraged. I don't believe the Lord would expect that. It doesn't make any sense that the Lord would want us to work so hard that we are discouraged by the end of every day. If that's the case, it also doesn't make sense that I should expect that, either. So, this year, I'm going to work on things a little at a time, line upon line, and gradually become better. I have three main categories I'm going to apply this motto to: my spirituality, my family relationships, myself. Each of my monthly goals will fit into one of those three categories.

Maybe occasionally I'll share how I think I'm doing. What I felt like I did pretty good today and what I can work on just a little bit more tomorrow. For example, today I feel pretty good that I got my contacts in, I got dinner on the table, and I got the kitchen cleaned. {I haven't been feeling super fantastic so that's why I'm feeling so proud about those contacts.} Tomorrow I think I can be a little better about exercising. See? I didn't beat myself up because I didn't exercise today. I just know I need to do better tomorrow. I think this is working already. :D

Without any further drivel {because I could blather about a whole lot of nothing for a really long time....}, here are January's Goals {in parentheses is the category that goal fits into} :
  • Write in my journal & Livie's baby book once each week - probably on Sunday {spiritual, myself}
  • Get my monthly to-do's organized & start using them {myself, family}
  • Organize birthday cards {myself}
  • Monthly menu {family}
  • Write thank you cards for Christmas presents {family}
  • Participate in book club {myself}
  • Go to Relief Society activity {myself, spiritual}
  • Be a better visiting teacher {spiritual}
  • Start a meaningful tradition with my family {family}
  • Read & study scriptures daily {spiritual}
  • Start exercising & try for five days each week {myself}

HAPPY 2011 TO ALL!
May it be a year full of happiness, good things and little changes.

    No comments: