Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Baby check list

Gosh, the time is just flying by! I seriously cannot believe that almost 20 weeks have gone by already! We've recently started thinking about the things we need to get and do to be prepared for this little one's arrival into the world. I started making a list of things I've thought of that I need to do - and I could really use your help. I've got a lot of mom friends and figured this would be the easiest way to ask: if you could tell me something you did {or wish you would've done!} before you had your baby{s} to help you feel prepared, I'd love to hear. Yeah, I know this is kinda early, but gosh, if the next 20 weeks fly by like the first ones did . . . I gotta get moving!

Oh, I also wanted to explain the baby/pregnancy tickers here on the blog. I had someone tell me they were confused by the "countdowns" because they were different. Just to clarify: the pregnancy ticker is how far along we are {19 weeks, 4 days} and the baby ticker {which is seriously one of my most favorites!} tells how much longer we have to go {20 weeks, 3 days}. In a couple days, they should match {as long as they are both accurate} because on Saturday we'll be halfway there {and in two weeks we should find out what baby's gender is!}!!

5 comments:

Tara Johnson said...

I have an excel document of all the things we needed to buy. I will forward it to you. It was a nice little checklist to carry around with me.

Brian and Kayla said...

My advice is to prepare yourself to accept any outcome your pregnancy might have. Go with the flow. You may end up needing a C-section without planning on it, or maybe you need to be induced because you aren't going in to labor, or maybe you fail a gestational diabetes test. Whatever happens, be okay with it! I learned this lesson after David was breech and I failed my glucose screen. And in the end, I still gave birth to him naturally like I wanted...but it wasn't going to be the end of the world if it didn't happen that way. Also, do you have a glider/rocker? This has been really nice for me to have. Craigslist is a GREAT place to find baby items. Also, buy a stroller/diaper bag, etc that fits your lifestyle. You can be fashionable, or practical, or sporty or whatever. I have a jogger stroller and my diaper bag is backpack style. Even though most of the girls have really cutsie diaper bags in my ward, it just didn't suit me well. There you go! How is that for a long comment? Sorry!

Carrissa Hellewell said...

one thing I found both of my girls really like is the swing that swings from side to side. (instead of forward and back) Does that make any sense at all? Anyway, I tried the forward/backward swinging swing (haha) and both girls would only last a few minutes but with my side to side swing they have both lasted much longer and I can get to showering and eating breakfast..etc. Also a bouncer with a vibrating thing attached, works great to stick them in when you are taking a shower as well :) Good luck! Can't wait to hear what the baby is!!

Lisa said...

I read up on lots of different books about sleeping and eating schedules before Thomas was born like, "The Happiest Baby on the Block," and "On Becoming Baby Wise." It helped me feel ready. I took different ideas from each book to come up with what worked best for Thomas.
Also, make sure you have lots of burp cloths.

Jessica :) said...

Everyone: Thanks for your suggestions! I really appreciate the help!
{Tara: I'd love to see your checklist!}