I must now share the story of the whole graduation day. That morning we were in Bountiful, Utah for my little sisters wedding (congrats, Amber!). I had to be back in Rexburg by 4:00pm for a sound check for the graduation choir (which was so fun ... I highly recommend it!). We left Bountiful at 12:30pm, thinking we would make it just in time for the check. For our drive we had taken a book in a series that Dan and I really enjoy to help pass the time (it's the Zion Covenant series, by Thoene - if you like historical fiction, these books are awesome!); I was reading to him while he drove. At about 2:30pm, Dan pulled off an exit and stopped. I was confused (I actually thought he needed to go to the bathroom and I started teasing him because we had just recently passed a rest stop) and he finally said, "I forgot to take the Pocatello exit; we are 50 miles from Burley." At that, I started crying, knowing it would take us an hour to go back to Tremonton, Utah, and then at least 2 1/2 hours, probably 3, back to Rexburg, Idaho. At that rate, we would get back into town around 6:30 (which is when graduation started). I seriously thought I was going to miss my graduation after all the work we'd gone to make sure I could still go. Dan called his sister who looked on Google maps for us (thanks, Misti!) and she told us it was quicker to keep going the direction we were headed and then over to Pocatello rather than back-track to Tremonton. So that's the way we went and we got into Rexburg at 5:20pm (I was supposed to be lined up by 5:45). We ran into the house and grabbed my cap and gown (thank heavens my hair was already fixed from Amber's wedding!) and went straight to the Hart building. I made it for graduation and was still able to sing with the choir even though I missed the sound check. So thanks to Dan and Misti for getting me back in time for this important event in my life! It was an adventure ... I can tell you that for sure! ;)
Here are some pictures from the special day (there are a lot ... tee hee!):

Me walking across the stage (our camera is kinda slow ...)

My aunt and cousin came all the way from SLC to see me graduate - and then drove right back. Thanks so much for coming!

Me and my sweetie. For some reason these pics came out dark.

I GRADUATED! I MADE IT! WAHOO!!!

My parents came up from Clifton to see the graduation. Thanks for coming, mom and dad! I love you!

The two that made it! :D

Me and Sister Ashby, my voice teacher, women's choir director, diction teacher and great friend. She is awesome! I love ya, Sister Ashby!

In the Snow Building (which was practically where I lived for 3 years) they post all the names of the music graduates for the semester and I found mine.
11 comments:
Yay Yay Yay for you!!! I was wondering why you peeled out of the parking lot so fast...
Congratulations Jessica. Thats a great accomplishment. Good for you for sticking it out! :)
Thank you!
Congrats Jessica!
That's not the first time he's made that mistake.... ;)
Congrats Jessica! Dan, shame on you! The book was just too good huh? ;)
That's what I've heard, Alan. Looking at it now, it was pretty funny but at the time I wasn't very happy. (Sally, I think you are right about the book being too good! And he says he spent most of the time passing semis so he didn't see any signs ... ;) )
Thanks everyone!
Just to defend myself I would like to say that I knew that I needed to take that exit (unlike the last time I made that mistake...) but I never did see any signs. Around the time we crossed the border I realized that I hadn't taken the exit yet and that it was before the border.
I understand how you didn't see the signs. 3 miles notice with signs going across the top of the freeway just isn't enough! :-o
Jessica, I think you need to look at this situation a bit more closely. Do you really think Dan just "missed" the signs? Or is it more likely that he is angling for a GPS unit for Christmas? They give directions quite well.
And because I was focused on mocking Dan in my first two comments, I was distracted from saying Congrats on graduating! That's awesome!
You've got a point Al, a good GPS unit could have told me the best way to get back after I missed my exit. So, if anybody feels like I need one of those for Christmas, I won't disagree... :)
Post a Comment