I've mentioned before that I clean
house for an elderly couple here in town. They live about three blocks
from me and I go once a week. Liv comes with me. At first, taking
Liv to work with me was a little challenging, but now she loves going
and is usually pretty good. She adores this couple. They've started
calling themselves grandma and grandpa to her and I'm sure that's what she'll call them as soon as she actually starts talking.
Anyway, I've been cleaning their house
for a little over two years I think. Today I was just thinking about
all the things I've learned from working there. I decided I would write
them down so I wouldn't forget. And because I figure they are worth
sharing with other people, too, I decided to just post them on my blog.
Some of these things I have learned just by nature of cleaning this house every week, some I have learned from the examples of this wonderful couple, and others I have gleaned from what she and I talk about each week.
• Our relationships with people are truly the greatest gifts we have ever received
• Growing old is hard but it’s even harder if you don’t have anything to do
• Always do what you love—it keeps you alive and happy
• The insides of your cupboards get dirty, even if you keep the doors closed
• Don’t be afraid of what other people think
• Housework is never done
• Laughter is the best medicine
• Using pet names for your spouse is really cute when you’re old
• Saying “I love you” is still important even if you’ve been married 58 years {or something like that – it could be 55 or 56 or 57, I don’t remember for sure} and even if you're only running around the corner to make five copies of something
• Magic Erasers really are magic
• Show off the things you’re proud of. Especially if it's something someone you love did for you. It can’t hurt
• If you keep your eye out for dust, you are sure to find some
• Writing and receiving notes and letters is so important – never miss an opportunity to write someone a note and be grateful when you receive one
• Make family the most important
• Sometimes the choices other people make really hurt but it’s still important to love and support them
• Soft Scrub with Bleach and a green scouring pad are the best products for cleaning white porcelain sinks
• Taking time out of your busy day for a friend is more essential than getting housework done
• Fresh baked goodies are so “nummy” {that’s how the lady I clean for would say it} – and so worth the effort
• Recipes are for sharing
• Have a cleaning schedule sure does help a person stay on top of things
• Being eccentric is probably more fun than fitting the mould
• Sharing what you have comes naturally to some people and can sure be learned by those to whom it doesn't come naturally
3 comments:
I love this! Bar Keepers Friend for cleaning sinks is awesome too. I have never looked for it at Albertsons but its definitely at Winco. I swear by this stuff.
Love the list! It's amazing what you can learn from people who have gone before. :-P
I left a comment, or so I thought...hm. Anyway, I love this post!
Post a Comment