Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Greatest Inspiration

This past weekend we were tremendously blessed to listen to more than two dozen of God's servants, prophets and apostles through the General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It was a truly inspiring and uplifting conference and I came away from the weekend feeling so spiritually enriched, strengthened and fortified.

One of the talks that struck me was given by Elder Neil L. Anderson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. His talk was about children being central to God's eternal plan.

I suppose it was one of the talks that stuck with me because I happen to be in the throes of raising our daughter. I suppose it felt a little validating to hear that it is difficult to raise young children, despite how easy it may appear. I suppose it was good - important - to be reminded just how essential this precious little girl is to God's eternal plan and to our family. But I should say that no one thing he said has been what stuck with me. More of what I felt.

I was reminded of how precious my daughter is in the sight of God. I felt empowered as a mother, knowing that because she is precious to God, He wants to help me with every bit of raising her. He didn't send me His precious child and then tell me to figure out how to raise her on my own. He helps me every day.

And this is where I realize just how much inspiration I have received in my life since Liv joined our family over a year ago. This is when I finally saw just how much help I have actually received. Thinking about it now still brings tears to my eyes. So many times, in the thick of a challenging day, I have had thoughts pop into my mind of how to deal with something. So many times it just suddenly became apparent to me what she needs. So many times I have had ideas come to me, that are completely unfounded, of something different to try. And every one of those times the ideas, the thoughts, the knowledge has helped me mother better.

Now I see that every one of those times I can be assured it was the Holy Ghost giving me inspiration from God about what to do. It certainly cannot be founded in my own parenting genius. Despite having a lot of experiences with children or reading a number of parenting books, the truth is that I have only been a parent for 14 months. I don't know a whole lot. I have to figure things out as they come.

But I don't have to do this alone. I can parent in partnership with God, Who will give me all the inspiration I need to fill this noble, challenging calling, as long as my heart is open to receiving it.

"I testify of the great blessing of children, and of the happiness they will bring us in this life and in the eternities." Elder Neil L. Anderson {highlights found here}

I too testify that God gives us children to have families. I testify that He knows that these children bring us the ultimate we can experience in happiness and joy and this because of the principle of opposition. I know that He helps us in this parenting experience, and boy I sure am grateful that I have that help. Being a parent has brought the greatest inspiration I have ever received.


PS - if you haven't entered my giveaway for some free digital scrap-booking software from My Memories, do so quickly! The giveaway ends Oct 10 and there are five different ways to enter!  And right now, your chances are pretty good of winning. :)

1 comment:

Familia CedeƱo said...

SO true! It is the most divine role there is. I too have felt so much love and happiness in being a mother. It is amazing.