I collect nativities. I have for a long time. It's a slow collection, adding one here or there but I love it. The whole collection is my favorite thing to pull out each Christmas season. Pulling each of those nativities out and remembering where they came from and, most importantly, what they represent, always puts me in the Christmas spirit.
I thought I would share my collection with you.
 |
| Received from my grandparents when they served their mission in Spain. |
 |
| Made from olive wood. Received from Dan for Christmas. |
 |
| An old one my grandparents used to have and gave to me. |
 |
| This one was also given to me by my grandparents when they were serving their mission in Costa Rica. |
 |
| From my sister, Amber. |
 |
| From Dan. |
 |
| This wooden nativity is awesome for toddlers. |
 |
| Another from Amber. |
Most of these nativities are displayed on a high shelf on our book shelf. In fact, they are displayed right in front of this:

At first, I thought about taking it down so the shelf would be filled with only nativities, but then I changed my mind. Mostly out of laziness but I'm so glad I left it there. I think it really brings the full purpose of Christmas full circle. I think Elder Holland explains why the best. He said:
"You can't separate Bethlehem from Gethsemane or the hasty flight into Egypt from the slow journey to the summit of Calvary. It's of one piece. It is a single plan. It considers 'the fall and rising again of many in Israel,' but always in that order. Christmas is joyful not because it is a season or decade or lifetime without pain and privation, but precisely because life does hold those moments for us."
~Jeffery R. Holland (Shepherds, Why This Jubilee?, pg. 68)
Isn't that a beautiful quote? It really reminds me that Christmas is about Christ and that means it is about all of Him, every part, even - or most especially - the painful ones. Without Gethsemane there wouldn't be a Christmas. I for one am grateful for both.
I hope your Christmas is filled with joy and so much laughter.
Merry Christmas!
1 comment:
Beautiful nativities! I'd be hardpressed to pick a favorite.
Post a Comment