As I've been trying to remember everything I'm supposed to update ... I forget. :D I'm pretty close to getting all the holiday posts updated and other than that, I can't really remember what else I was thinking I was going to post. Except for one thing. Maybe some of you won't care. But it's part of my life - our lives - and so I'm gonna tell ya anyway.
Back in early November, I went into the doctor to have a test done. I was extremely unexcited for this test - the thought of what the results could be scared me and knowing that it would take at least 3 hours for the test was also something I didn't look forward to. I had to have an insulin resistance test. Translation: I had to fast for 12 hours, go to the dr's, have my blood drawn, drink 10 oz of some nauseating liquid, sit in the dr's office while they draw my blood again every half-hour for three hours, endure a painful headache without being able to eat or drink anything, then wait for three days until you get the results back and the dr calls you to say, "You are insulin resistant." {or in my case, pre-insulin resistant}
Now, I know a few other people who've had this test and things might go a little differently for them. But for me, that's how it was. The fasting and sitting around for three hours wasn't too bad {I brought a book with me} and the drink wasn't super awful, though I did have to kind of force it down. I did not enjoy having a headache that lasted all day and I didn't enjoy not being able to drink any water. I also didn't enjoy having a needle stuck in my arm for three hours, but I guess that's better than having them poke me every half hour instead. But the part I disliked the most about the whole process was learning that I am pre-insulin resistant. Essentially, if a person is insulin resistant, it means that their body doesn't allow the insulin it produces into the blood cells to break down the sugar we ingest. When that happens, your blood sugar gets really high because there's nothing breaking it down, and your insulin level also gets really high because it's not absorbing, it's just sitting there. It's kind of a confusing concept so I hope that makes sense. People who are insulin resistant have a greater risk of developing diabetes later in life, particularly if the condition goes untreated. Being pre-insulin resistant basically just adds a step to that: pre-insulin resistance means I have a greater chance of becoming insulin resistant which means I'll have a higher risk of developing diabetes. Sheesh. Just what I need.
So I said that the thing I disliked the most was discovering I'm pre-insulin resistant. And it’s true. I admit it. For several days after we found out, I was a complete and ridiculous emotional wreck. However, I have been able to discover some blessings in this finding. Bear with me. First of all, it is a blessing to know. Even if I don’t want to, it’s better to know now than to find out in 15 years that I’m full-blown insulin resistant or diabetic. Secondly, because I know, I can make some positive changes in my life to avoid going down a path I’d rather avoid. These changes include exercise {which I’ve been really bad about since it got cold but I will change that}, eating {avoid simple sugars and refined foods} & taking medication. Third, the Lord blessed me to not like chocolate, the self-control to be able to say “no” to foods, and the ability to stop myself from eating too much of something. I always just thought I was weird but I have decided that these things are blessings and I’m grateful for them. Fourth, I’m learning even more to rely on the Lord and trust His wisdom for me. I think that’s been a lesson in progress for a really long time and I think I'm getting there. Finally, I’m learning. Sometimes my skull is thick, but the good thing about that is that once I learn something, it’s usually there to stay. It’s just the learning process that sometimes takes a while. This is taking a lot of getting used to and we’ve had to learn to make some adjustments, but even though it really made me feel like I have less control over my life, I’m learning to see why it’s better to let the Lord be in control instead.
‘Nuf said.
{Oh, btw: when I made this post and said I had “stuff” to tell you that I would tell you later, things I’ve had to get used to and whatnot, I was talking about this news. Now you can stop feeling like I’ve left you in suspense. :) ..... }
6 comments:
What a great attitude you have! I am horrible when it comes to exercising, and I was actually eating chocolate as I began reading your post. I would have a hard time changing, that's for sure.
I hope things go well for you!
I'm so sorry! That insulin resistance tests STINKS! I hated doing that, too. But I'm glad you know NOW instead of LATER, like you said. I hope the adjustment is easy for you--way too look on the bright side of things.
A few things:
Did you get my e-mail that I sent a few weeks ago about that herb? If it doesn't ring a bell, you probably didn't get it. It was after I initially found out about the insulin thing on your cooking blog (which I really like by the way).
Secondly, I have taken the same exact test...and it was awful. I have my own feelings about the way this test is administered but that can be saved for another day. I just don't understand how they think a guzzle of gross syrupy glucose is an adequate measure of how a body responds to sugar...unless maybe you drink orange cola for breakfast every morning.
Finally, I believe everyone should act as though they are pre-diabetic so that they can avoid the disease! Diabetes is such a problem and the preventive solution will always be a healthy lifestyle. What scares me is that I feel like you are an adequately healthy person so I guess we all need to do more than we initially thought to stay healthy. It helps me realize that I need to take my health more seriously. I think too often people only get serious about their health when they are diagnosed with a disease like this only now it is much harder to change lifestyle. So I agree with you that it is a blessing to realize this early on so that you can stop it dead in its tracks.
Sorry about the rant. You should shoot me an e-mail.
Sorry about the sad news Jessica. Thanks for sharing your positive outlook. All the best to you and Daniel.
I know exactly how you feel. Heh... although I guess it's not exactly, because when I went in for my test results, they told me I was severely insulin resistant. o_O It sucks, doesn't it?
So now I've been trying to be really good about the whole diet+exercise+meds thing, but it's really, really hard. I'm glad I found someone else struggling with something so annoying and crappy, although I'm sorry you have to deal with it too... I wouldn't wish it on anyone. :( Email me sometime if you want to talk more about it... altogoddess11@gmail.com. Good luck!!!
Thanks for your encouraging thoughts everyone! I appreciate that: a)I have friends who believe in me; b)I'm not the only one who thinks stuff like this stinks!; c)I'm not the only one who thought that test is awful!; and d)other people out there actually enjoy chocolate! :) Thank you, everyone!
Post a Comment