Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Book list of 2009

I was really proud of myself this year. I read a total of 52 books – which means I averaged one book for every week of the year. However, some of these books were kind of random & super short – you know, the kind that only take half a day or less to read. So in a way, I guess you could say I cheated. But heck – the number is still 52. No matter how you look at it. And I have a wide variety of books that I read. In fact, I can’t ever think of a time in my life where I read a wider variety and gained more from my reading than this past year. I’ve always enjoyed the frivolous novel, I’m not gonna lie {notice I have a lot of Stansfield on this list!}, but this year I branched out: I also learned a bit about photography {and I still feel like I know nothing…oh boy}, I read some spiritual books {which were really great, to be honest – I learned a lot}, some historical fiction {which I consider less frivolous … :D}, and plenty of books I’d never even heard of {which is way different for me – I usually don’t read a book unless I’m sure I’ll like it}.
I’ve been trying to think of a single book that really stood out to me as “the read” for 2009, but I just can’t pinpoint one. In fact, I was going through my list trying just to find “the top five,” but I still failed! So I’ll just tell ya, this is my “top eight” list:

- The Great Divorce by CS Lewis
- Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen
- Justified by Faith by Stephen Nadauld {one of the spiritual books that was really awesome!}
- Memoirs of a Geisha by Golden {I’ll admit I struggled a little with this book but it really helped me learn to branch out a little and learn from some different literature – very interesting, but not a book for children. :)}
- Believing Christ by Stephen E. Robison
- Restless Spirit: The Life and Work of Dorthea Lange by Partridge
- Moloka’i by Brennert {incredible story, very eye opening and plays with all your emotions – and I do mean all of them}
- John Adams by McCullough

If you want more of my reviews of any of those books, you can make friends with me on Goodreads. Gotta love goodreads. And, because I just know you are all dying to see my list for 2009, I’ll share it with ya. Enjoy!
  1. A Time to Dance {Stansfield}
  2. Timeless Waltz {Stansfield}
  3. Beloved Emma {Woodland}
  4. Eyes of a Stranger {Nunes}
  5. A Perfect Day {Evans}
  6. The Sound of Rain {Stansfield}
  7. A Distant Thunder {Stansfield}
  8. A Star in Winter {Stansfield}
  9. Where the Heart Leads {Stansfield}
  10. The King's Highway {Fullmer}
  11. The Temple: Our Home Away from Home {Kapp}
  12. Hana's Suitcase {Levine}
  13. Lincoln: A Photobiography {Freedman}
  14. Pillage {Skye}
  15. Saying it Like it Is {Dew}
  16. The Great Divorce {CS Lewis}
  17. Zion Covenant 7: London Refrain {Thoene}
  18. The Winds of Hope {Stansfield}
  19. Pride and Prejudice {Austen}
  20. Don't take my picture! {Alesse}
  21. Mastering Composition and Light {Kodak}
  22. Justified by Faith {Nadauld}
  23. Learning from the Experts {Kodak}
  24. Emma: Woman of Faith {Stansfield}
  25. Photographing the Drama of Daily Life {Time-Life Books}
  26. Professional Secrets of Wedding Photography {Douglas}
  27. Digital Photography {May}
  28. The Sunflower {Evans}
  29. Recovering Charles {Wright}
  30. Smithsonian Treasures of American History {Kendrick}
  31. A Quiet Strength {Oke}
  32. When the Emporer Was Divine {Otsuka}
  33. How to be Lovely: The Audrey Hepburn Way of Life {Hellstern}
  34. Memoirs of a Geisha {Golden}
  35. Our Country's Presidents {Bausum}
  36. Beyond This Moment {Sealy}
  37. Dancing in the Light {Stansfield}
  38. The People of the Book {Muchnick}
  39. Believing Christ {Robinson}
  40. Postcards from No Man's Land {Chambers}
  41. Restless Spirit: The Life and Work of Dorothea Lange {Partridge}
  42. Sarah's Song {Kingsbury}
  43. Not a Sparrow Falls {Nichols}
  44. A Short Guide to a Happy Life {Quindlen}
  45. Being Perfect {Quindlen}
  46. Moloka'i {Brennert}
  47. Little Women {Alcott}
  48. Isaiah for Airheads {Bytheway}
  49. John Adams {McCulllough}
  50. Water Keep (Farworld) - {Savage}
  51. Christmas in Haggerty {Green}
  52. Christmas Box Miracle {Evans}

Did you read any books in 2009 that you really liked? Please share if you have any recommendations for me since I'm going to try and read a lot again this year. :)

3 comments:

Kailani said...

Congratulations! That's a lot of books! I haven't read most of them on your list but I did read Memoirs of a Geisha and loved it. I could read that one over and over again.

M and W said...

You should try Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. It's a really good book and a really good series.

Jessica :) said...

Kailani: Thanks! I appreciate you taking the time to comment! It is a lot of books, but like I said, a couple of them are super short. Isn't Memoirs of a Geisha interesting? In all the time I read it, I never could figure out just how to say "geisha". But you're right, it's certainly more than a once-in-a-lifetime read.
M&W: Thanks for the recommendation! I always love getting recommendations from people! I'm excited to add it to my "to-read" list!