Tuesday, January 3, 2012

2012 Bucket List

So this year I am doing as I usually do and will have a motto for my year. Sometimes it’s one word, sometimes it’s a quote. This year, I have two words that I think are very important for me. I was going to do something completely different and was all ready to post about it but then this morning I realized I needed to change it. So I’m changing it up last minute. This year, my motto is:

Live Purposefully

I want my life to be lived on purpose. I want to do more than go through the motions of daily life; I want to be alive, on purpose. I want my life to mean something to me. I am done just going through life without feeling its intent, without disciplining myself to use my time effectively, without living every moment to its fullest. So this year I am going to focus on living on purpose.

In addition to my yearly motto, I decided to set some general resolutions and goals – in other words, I am going to have a 2012 Bucket List. I am hoping that by utilizing some things I’ve learned from “The Happiness Project” I will keep up with my bucket list and make this a fulfilling year.

Before I share my list, I wanted to share something from “The Happiness Project” in relation to goals and resolutions.

Gretchen Rubin says, “You hit a goal, you keep a resolution. ‘Run a marathon’ makes a good goal. It’s specific, it’s easy to measure success, and once you’ve done it, you’ve done it. ‘Sing in the morning’ and ‘Exercise better’ are better cast as resolutions. You won’t wake up one day and find that you’ve achieved it. It’s something that you have to resolve to do every day, forever. Striving toward a goal provides the atmosphere of growth so important to happiness, but it can be easy to get discouraged if reaching the goal is more difficult than you expected. Also, what happens once you’ve reached your goal? Say you’ve run the marathon. What now—do you stop exercising? Do you set a new goal? With resolutions, the expectations are different. Each day I try to live up to my resolutions. Sometimes I succeed, sometimes I fail, but every day is a clean slate and a fresh opportunity. I never expect to be done with my resolutions, so I don’t get discouraged when they stay challenging. Which they do.” (The Happiness Project, 288.)

Ah, this is why I love goals and resolutions. Both are integral to intrinsic happiness but for different reasons. I’m definitely going to keep up my monthly resolutions, which I’ll post later.

Since I’ve learned that resolutions and goals are different, I’m going to break my bucket list into separate categories that help me feel organized, thereby making me happy. This will also hopefully meet the expectation that it will help me keep my goals/resolutions instead of giving up, which would also make me happy.

2012 Bucket List: Goals
  • Read 24 new books
  • Read all the standard works in a year
  • Get pantry shelves built {Dan is actually doing this but I’m putting it as a goal here because we really want/need it done}
  • Switch Livie to a booster seat
  • Graduate Livie to a toddler bed
  • Wean Livie from the bottle {this is the one I’m most nervous about – suggestions? advice?}
  • Plant a vegetable garden
  • Read all 2012 Conference talks
  • Read Les Miserables
  • Learn to count to 10 in 10 different languages
  • Take a photography class
  • Do the Tableau Tuesday posts again

2012 Bucket List: Resolutions
  • Be more social
  • Learn more about other countries
  • Be better about repeating myself—as in, quit doing it
  • Eat healthier—fruits and veggies in place of sweets
  • Exercise consistently
  • Build my relationship with Dan—go on dates
  • Memorize scriptures—I’m resolving to memorize one a week
  • Take more photos
  • Blog more frequently
  • Identify the common factors in my grouchy moments and work on them so I stop having grouchy moments
  • Learn to decipher the line between hunger and boredom
  • Be more energized
  • Stick to the organization binder and cleaning schedule to keep up with the housework
  • Be mindfully grateful—keep a gratitude journal
  • Don’t get lazy and throw everything off this summer—discipline!

Yep, I’m aware that this is a lot of stuff. It’s a big list. But I don’t feel daunted at all. Honest. I think it’s because I am looking for improvement, not perfection {cue last year's motto!}. Especially on my resolutions list. I’m going to utilize my monthly resolutions to help me stay on track. And I’m going to actually keep track—as in on paper. Something I’ve definitely learned is that I’m not going to do it if I don’t have a written expectation and a way to track my progress.
Just a note: yes, I'm aware that many of these resolutions are somewhat vague. As I said, I plan on creating specific monthly resolutions to help me out with the general ones. :)
Since today is the first Tuesday of the year and I'm going to post Tableau's again, this is the first photo of the year.

I’m excited! I hope you are excited for your 2012, too!

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Love the bucket list! What a great thing to do so you can look forward to the year!

Mal said...

Great lists! And for the record, I would be slightly more worried about switching to a toddler bed than weaning off the bottle. When Madie turned 1 we just started putting her milk in a sippy cup and she didn't bat an eye. Get one with a silicone spout though--I think the softness helps the transition. (Although she will doubtless gnaw it off as she teethes.)

The bed though--well, let's just say Madie has had her toddler bed since September; that same month she was given a sleeping bag as a birthday present from her Nana and Papa and she has since slept on the floor of her room. We've tried putting the sleeping bag on the bed but she won't have it. But, se la vie! We just let her sleep there and figure we won't have to get a second crib when the baby is born! But it does make her distracted during nap-times since she can get to all her toys.

Suki Lotti said...

Love that quote from The Happiness Project. It echoes my own thoughts with goals and resolutions!

My philosophy with Kaelyn is small steps is the best bet. Whatever I'm working on, I do small things to get her there. For example, I want her to stop drinking milk at night and naps. My first stop was to make sure to offer her milk before her nap and then not give it to her when I laid her down. Once she was used to that and she stopped asking for milk at naptime, I moved it to bedtime. After a few nights, I started diluting her milk (ew). She's doing pretty good so far. She's already drinking less milk at night. Score! I'll continue to dilute her milk because she seems to only want to drink milk and not anything else at night. I guess I'm testing that. lol. And then at some point I'll just tell her no.

Star said...

You are always so punctual on New Year's goals and resolutions. Go YOU! Thanks for posting.

When I weaned my girls from a bottle (assuming you are transitioning to a sippy), I only put the "good stuff" in the sippies, like juice or milk. If they wanted the bottle, I only filled it with water. Also, the comment on using a soft spout is a good one. It does make the switch seem more natural. Anyway, that's what seemed to work with mine. You can also use the technique when switching to regular cups, too. Good luck!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your lady bug picture. What would it take to get a print?