Today I had a half-dozen errands to run. I drove into town and had a good start to a good day. Our optometrist is the best I've ever been to and he is certainly kind. I always leave his office feeling like I've had a chat with a friend, rather than an eye exam with the doctor. Then things got even better because the receptionist at the front desk is not only courteous and informative, she is exceptionally kind. I left the dr's office with a smile on my face.
Then I took my sewing machine into the business where I bought it because I was having a few troubles with it. I ended up with two people working on my machine, and I just have to say they were the nicest people! They kept me smiling and laughing the whole time. Never once did I feel like an incompetent "seamstress" because not only did I not know what was wrong with my machine but I had never changed the needle on it in almost a year of using it {that was the only problem with it - I felt so silly I was glad I didn't receive some kind of chastisement for my neglect}. The gentleman working on my machine even carried it back out to my car for me. He was the kind of man anyone would love for a grandfather because he was so nice. I left there with a smile too.
I had a couple of shopping experiences where I ran into customers who were so nice. Most of the time I don't talk to fellow customers {people who know me know that I don't talk to people I don't know - in fact, unless I have something to say, I don't talk at all, though Dan might tell you I talk all the time . . . don't believe him ;) !} , but these customers were so nice, I didn't mind talking to them. Now, we weren't chatting it up or anything, mostly just exchanging pleasantries and being kind to one another, but I appreciated it. I also spoke to someone who worked in one the departments of the store I was in and not only was he helpful but he was very kind.
I bring up these stories because I just want to say that because these people smiled and were nice, I've had an exceptionally good day. Now, I'm a strong believer that your days will be what you make them but sometimes it sure helps to have others pushing you in a good direction.
I'm sad to say this, but I actually expected to be exhausted and frustrated by the end of today. Why? Because I wasn't expecting to run into kind people. For some reason, I almost always expect to encounter someone who is grumpy and willing to share that grumpiness with me.
We have some new neighbors moving into one of the apartments in this complex and I noticed them pull up this afternoon with a truck load of larger items. My car was parked in the spot right in front of their new apartment so they would have had to move everything inside while trying to get their things around my car. So I went out with my keys and told them that I would be happy to move my car so they could have that spot and make it easier for them to move in. I think at first I surprised the man. In fact, I think he almost said what most of us say when we are offered something in genuine kindness: "Oh, that's okay. Don't worry about it." It made me glad that he didn't say that and instead welcomed my offer, following it up with several sincere "thank yous". I don't share this story to say "Look at me! I did something so kind for someone else!" but actually to raise a little awareness. The people I've run into today that have been so kind really didn't do anything dramatic for me, but because of each of them, I've had a better day. All most of them did was smile and say something kind. But that made a difference to me. And I think maybe I helped my new neighbors and I can tell you what I did wasn't really that significant. It's pretty easy to be kind to others, to do something thoughtful and benign. It kind of seems like we've all gotten into this comfortable rut of keeping our daily encounters to a minimum of communication, eye contact and smiles. What a sad state of people we are! So I guess I'm challenging anyone who reads this to find some way to go outside yourself - step out of your comfort zone - and be kind.
Maybe you'll make someone's day.
4 comments:
Great post Jessica! I totally agree with you about what you have said. Thanks for the reminder on the importance of kindness. I really think this applies to marriage to...greeting your spouse with a smile and kind word can really make all the difference (even though it is often tempting to unload and be a little grumpy).
So true! Kindness is definitely a choice. It is made easier when you're already having a good day, but it is possible to be kind even when you want to be grouchy. And being kind usually causes other people to be kind! Amazing.
Thanks for this post Jessica. I think I steel myself against grumpy people to when I have to run errands hahaha. It does make such a difference when people are kind, or sometimes when you are kind to others they feel they can be kind back and a grumpy encounter is adverted! Anyways, this post did raise awareness at least for me. I'll try to diffuse those grumpy encounters more often!
p.s. I'm due Sep. 12th (hopefully I'm not a day early)
B&K: I agree! It amazes me how easy it is to be unkind to your spouse, but there probably isn't a better person to be kind to.
Halsey: Right you are. Isn't it great how you can help change someone's mood by being kind? I suppose the opposite is also true but I think kindness is more powerful.
Tani: I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that! And congrats on the baby again! We are so excited for you!
Post a Comment