Thursday, May 28, 2009

Perspective

Sometimes I amaze myself at the things I complain about.

"I don't want to clean the kitchen" . . . when it takes all of 10 minutes and I have all the modern conveniences to make the job a quicky.

"I don't want to get up!" . . . when I slept for a good 6-8 hours on a comfy bed in a warm house.

"This stupid pudgy stomach" . . . when I could easily actually try to get rid of it - on my own {please do not try to argue with me on this point. I know it's there - you can't convince me otherwise}!

"I don't want to do dishes" . . . when I have a DISHWASHER!!!

"I never do anything" . . . when I don't try to do anything.

"I wish I could paint these walls the way I want" . . . when I actually have a great apartment to live in and even if it weren't fabulous it's more than what a lot of people have.

"I hate going to the dentist" . . . when at least I have the option, incredibly available, and we can pay for it.

I could go on and on.
But I won't.

Right here and how I'm vowing to do my best never to complain again.

Because I've received a heavy dose of perspective.
From Ivory Hut.
I've been thinking about it all week . . . and I don't think I'll ever look at what I have the same. Please go read about it here - you'll be grateful you did!


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you read this post about Mother's Day, you know I decided that in each post for the whole month of May I would highlight a woman who has made a difference in my life. These highlights are not made in any particular order of importance; the point is that these women have helped shape me into who I am today and they deserve to be highlighted with a little feature. If any of my highlights remind you of a special woman in your life, please comment and let us know who it is! I would love to hear your own little highlights and I'm sure the women in your life would appreciate it as well!

Woman Highlight:
Kayla Cook

{this pic is of Kayla and Brian on their wedding day which we were blessed to attend - they are so cute together!}
I met Kayla through Women’s Choir {at least as far as I recall} and I thought she was the cutest girl ever {which she is, by the way!}. I got to know her better when she began dating my good friend, Brian Cook, and I will be honest and say that as soon as they started dating I hoped they would ge t married because they were so cute together! I would see her frequently when she started dating Brian, and then she and I ended up in the same Acoustics class winter semester of 2008. Then in that class we ended being in the same study group and I got to be good friends with her. She is so sweet and so smart! I loved working with her in that class – and even if it was hard, I still miss it at times. It was a great time! She brought this special sunshine to my heart every time I got to see her. Brian told me when he was going to propose to her and I got to be there for the big event and take pictures {none of which really turned out but I sure tried!}. Then Dan and I were blessed to attend their sealing in the Mount Timpanogos temple, which was beautiful. She is such a great friend and I’m truly blessed to have her influence in my life!

3 comments:

Carrissa Hellewell said...

It is so true! I complain about the very same things. Just think about what it would have been like had we been born only 100 years ago. Then I would really have something to complain about as far as conveniences go! ;)

Kathryn said...

thanks for the sharing the perspective - that ivoryhut post was incredible. it's so easy to get worked up over the things we don't have that we forget how blessed we are to have those "basic" conveniences! my latest complaint is that our house is hot (the AC is broken)... but we are so lucky that we have a nice, cool basement that we can sleep in right now until it gets fixed! life is good.

Jessica :) said...

Carrissa: I totally understand what you mean! I would probably have been the worst complainer if I'd been born 100 years ago. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who complains about those kinds of things . . .
kathryn: You would probably really like the Ivory Hut blog - it's full of all kinds of beautiful photos. I really love the pics on there! And you're right, it's really easy to forget how blessed we are. Good luck with the AC!