Friday, May 8, 2009

Mother's Day

{long post warning! but I promise it is worth it!}
I'd like to pay some tributes to some wonderful women in my life in honor of Mother's Day. Years ago a fellow classmate in Sunday School said, "One day a year isn't enough to celebrate our mothers. We should thank them a lot more than once a year." I've thought of that many times over the years and I believe it's true. We should celebrate the people we love more often!

“All that I am or hope to be I owe to my angel mother.” ~Abraham Lincoln

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints produced a short video of teens talking about their mothers. I'll admit, I got a little teary. I couldn't listen to these teens saying things like “She’s just a perfect woman” or “My mom is pure love” and “I’m definitely lucky to have her” without being very touched. Please click the link above to watch.
Also read this short article of Elia Gourgouris sharing a very touching story about his mother and the battles she faced in her life.

I'd also like to briefly tribute {some of} the "mothers" in my life:
My mom: Mom always supported me and encouraged me. She saw early on my talents of music and teaching and encouraged those avenues in my life. If not for her, I would not be where I am today because I wouldn't have been brave enough to do it without her encouragement. She taught me about faith and hard work and she shaped my life. I love you, mom!
Grandma S.: Girls' week brought us closer together. Her strong example of faith and service in the gospel has inspired me to be my best so I can be like her someday. She's served in the temple, gone on two missions with my grandpa and is currently taking care of my aging great-grandma with diligence and perseverance. She's amazing!
Farmor: She's from Sweden and I grew up calling her "Farmor," which is "father's mother" in Swedish {as she tells me}. She taught me wonderful maxims like "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything!", "Only believe half of what you see and none of what you hear," and whenever I was hurt she would always tell me, "It'll go away before you grow up and get married!" I love visiting with her and being around her. She has such a sweet and peaceful spirit!
My Mother-in-Law: The most recent addition to my "mothers," Mama has taken me in with love. I love my mother-in-law -- and I know you don't hear that very often! She teaches me things about cooking, sewing, and motherhood by her example and I love feeling like part of the family with her! I'm so grateful to my mother-in-law!

And now let's move beyond just "mothers". Sherri Dew has said: "While we tend to equate motherhood solely with maternity, in the Lord's language, the word mother has layers of meaning. Of all the words they could have chosen to define her role and her essence, both God the Father and Adam called Eve "the mother of all living," and they did so before she ever bore a child. Like Eve, our motherhood began before we were born. Motherhood is more than bearing children, though it is certainly that. It is the essence of who we are as women." {Saying it Like it It, 54}
This Mother's Day, please don't limit your tributes to women who have children. There are many in the world who cannot have children {Sherri Dew being among them} but they are equally amazing and have a mutual effect on our lives. I'd like to tribute a couple of women in my life who are "mothers" in their own way and have shaped and changed me:
Sister Eda Ashby: My voice teacher, mentor, instructor, and example, I've learned much from watching this woman at work. She loves and cares for everyone, her receptiveness to the spirit is awe-inspiring, and she has influenced my life in amazing ways. I cannot even begin to enumerate the ways she has changed my life - her example alone inspired many to pull themselves out of the rut of drudgery and bad-habits and bring about positive change. She is incredible!
Tara Johnson: I've only known her for a few months, but her influence in my life in not marked less because of shorter time. She sets an amazing example to me of loving the sisters in our ward and studying matters of spirituality in a way that makes me feel a little like a "spiritual pygmy". She's teaching me how to sew and her insights into life in general help me feel like I can conquer my problems. She's been an amazing influence in my life, and I hope to continue this influence for years to come.

This is by no means an exhaustive list. There is no way to tribute all the women in my life in one post. So throughout the rest of May, I will strive to tribute a new woman in each post I make. I encourage you to do the same. Say thank you - take a minute a two. I would also like to hear some of your tributes. Please leave a comment and tell me about a woman {or more, it doesn't have to be just one!} who has influenced your life.

Thank you, "MOMs"!! We all love you!
Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: