Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Having a Hard Time?

Trials. It's a word we all dread - it's a principle we wish we could avoid and sometimes we spend our lives wondering how we can rid ourselves of them. But we can't get rid of them. They don't "just go away" overnight. We each have them.
Each of us have things that are difficult in our lives - and, most of the time, those trials are different for each one of us. I know many people who are going through their own trials right now and each of them are vastly different but to each of those people who are enduring them right now, it's the insurmountable task of their lives in that moment. Who am I to look at their struggles and say, "that is nothing"? Of course that is not fair to them. Our trials, much like our personalities, joys, and friendships and families, are uniquely suited to us. They are difficult, perhaps only to us, because that trial is what we and we alone need to try us, to refine us and change us. In the Book of Mormon in Alma 5 we learn that changes in our very beings are necessary for us to return to our Father in Heaven someday. Trials are meant to create defining moments {which may, perhaps, last for years} that help us to change. And the beauty of this gospel is that if we are doing our best to press forward and endure those trials well, God will be there. He will lift us and carry us through our trials. Remember the poem "Footprints." When only set of footprints was visible it was because Christ carried the wearied soul who could go no longer. But the key was that the wearied soul walked with God in good times and in bad.
Whenever you encounter someone who is going through a trial, remember that it is probably a challenging one for them. Pray for them, weep with them, and gently remind them to trust in the Lord. Do not be quick to judge - be ever so careful. Sometimes people are good at appearing as though all is well when really their hearts are breaking right before your eyes. Befriend them and be open and trustworthy. Allow them to share their thoughts and struggles with you. I heard once that if you treat everyone you meet as though they were experiencing the toughest moments of their lives, you'll be 90% right.
And most of all, if you are one of those people who are struggling, please remember this deeply touching message from Elder Quentin L. Cook:


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you read this post about Mother's Day, you know I decided that in each post for the whole month of May I would highlight a woman who has made a difference in my life. These highlights are not made in any particular order of importance; the point is that these women have helped shape me into who I am today and they deserve to be highlighted with a little feature. If any of my highlights remind you of a special woman in your life, please comment and let us know who it is! I would love to hear your own little highlights and I'm sure the women in your life would appreciate it as well!

Woman Highlight:
Tierra Barthlome
This is my "cousin-sister", whom I lived with when I moved in with she and her mom the year before I started college. We grew to be really close. We would stay up late watching movies, we spent many long hours talking and crying and especially laughing. We went everywhere together, she would come into Broulim’s {where I worked} just to see me and I met all her friends {I think . . . :D}. We had many wonderful adventures together – me making her help me cook, going for Jamba runs {after which we always ended up being ridiculously hyper and silly . . . good times!}, “getting lost” in Rigby {yeah, that didn’t really happen though we tried valiantly!}, and having great conversations. My great cousin who now calls me her “sister,” I’m so glad to have you!

3 comments:

Tierra said...

awwww! thanks!!!! that made my day!!!! Thanks!! im glad i have you too!! love you!

haha and yes getting lost is rigby is kind of impossible! lol
and ill never forget our jamba runs! lol

Jessica :) said...

I'm glad it made your day!! We all need something to help do that occasionally. Of course I could never leave you out of all my highlights {though I'll admit I'm really afraid I will leave someone out . . . that would be really sad!}! Yes, getting lost and jamba runs are a couple of my favorite memories - as well as the "knee banging" night where you wouldn't go to bed because you were convinced it was a "boogy man" -- I laughed so hard that night! I love ya!

Jessica :) said...

I'm glad it made your day!! We all need something to help do that occasionally. Of course I could never leave you out of all my highlights {though I'll admit I'm really afraid I will leave someone out . . . that would be really sad!}! Yes, getting lost and jamba runs are a couple of my favorite memories - as well as the "knee banging" night where you wouldn't go to bed because you were convinced it was a "boogy man" -- I laughed so hard that night! I love ya!