This is one of those special tender mercies.
And suddenly, I realized that this little video had remarkably strong spiritual parallels. Isaiah thought of it first, of course, when he said "But now, O Lord, thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand." (Isaiah 64:8) "Elder Bruce R. McConkie identified the potter in the metaphor as Christ, 'meaning that he governs in the affairs of men so as to mould and shape earthen human vessels into vessels of honor and service to him' (MD, p. 580)." (found in the speech Lessons from the Potter and Clay.)
While I was watching the video yesterday, I realized that God is the Master Potter and I am a hard, stubborn lump of clay, perfectly content with being what I am. But the Master Potter knows better. He sees my potential. He knows that if He pushes me hard enough, if I become malleable enough, if he cuts away what isn't good, I will exceed my understanding of what I can become and my true light will be able to shine through. Isn't that powerful? The only difference between my spiritual example and this video is that I control the spinning of the wheel. The Master Potter will never force me to become but He's always there, always ready to help me change.
The other day a friend of mine shared a video of master ceramic artists. I was captivated. Enthralled. Glued. A person might think that it's just a video of a bunch of guys making clay pots but it is beautiful. While I was watching, I was amazed at how hard the clay seemed to be when they started out and then how malleable it became as they worked and toiled and sweat over that piece of earth. I noticed that I never came even close to guessing at what the finished product would look like. I'd see them form some cool case or pot and think "that's really neat" or "I like that" or "I would buy that" and then they would change it! The changes always seemed unexpected and I didn't even like many of them at first. But the finished product exceeded my expectation for beauty and mastery.
And suddenly, I realized that this little video had remarkably strong spiritual parallels. Isaiah thought of it first, of course, when he said "But now, O Lord, thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand." (Isaiah 64:8) "Elder Bruce R. McConkie identified the potter in the metaphor as Christ, 'meaning that he governs in the affairs of men so as to mould and shape earthen human vessels into vessels of honor and service to him' (MD, p. 580)." (found in the speech Lessons from the Potter and Clay.)
While I was watching the video yesterday, I realized that God is the Master Potter and I am a hard, stubborn lump of clay, perfectly content with being what I am. But the Master Potter knows better. He sees my potential. He knows that if He pushes me hard enough, if I become malleable enough, if he cuts away what isn't good, I will exceed my understanding of what I can become and my true light will be able to shine through. Isn't that powerful? The only difference between my spiritual example and this video is that I control the spinning of the wheel. The Master Potter will never force me to become but He's always there, always ready to help me change.
Man oh man though, that change can be so hard! Trials, big or small are called so for a reason: they're tough! Just as I initially didn't like the big changes the ceramic masters made to their creations, we often don't like the big changes God has to make in our lives to form us into perfect creations. I'm learning, though, that the tough stuff changes us most. When the ceramics masters in the video were cutting away bits of the clay, they were doing so with a vision in mind, and that cutting hurts most. However, those pots were the most beautiful. They had reached their fullest potential and no one could say they were mere lumps of earth anymore.
The trials we experience cause us to be more humble, to have receptive and teachable hearts. Elder Bruce D Porter said: "When our hearts are broken, we are completely open to the Spirit of God and recognize our dependence on Him for all that we have and all that we are. The sacrifice so entailed is a sacrifice of pride in all its forms. Like malleable clay in the hands of a skilled potter, the brokenhearted can be molded and shaped in the hands of the Master." (A Broken Heart and a Contrite Spirit) It's only in breaking down the clay the ceramics masters were able to mold it fully and completely and make it strongest.
The fact that my Master Potter knows and loves me is a comfort to me. He wants me to become, to reach my full potential. As a parent I can understand that same desire for my children. But God and I are different because He knows exactly what my potential is and what it will take to reach it.
There is a BYU Speech titled "Lessons from the Potter and the Clay" by Camille Fronk (on March 7, 1995). In her speech she shares this: "You are the clay—and as such you are of utmost importance to the Lord. He loves you and desires to shape you into a magnificent vessel of honor—designed and glazed for all eternity."
There is a BYU Speech titled "Lessons from the Potter and the Clay" by Camille Fronk (on March 7, 1995). In her speech she shares this: "You are the clay—and as such you are of utmost importance to the Lord. He loves you and desires to shape you into a magnificent vessel of honor—designed and glazed for all eternity."
These changes aren't easy. But I take comfort in my favorite scripture, Philippians 4:13, which says, "I can do all things through Christ which strengthen with me." As long as I'm working with Christ, He'll see me through this challenge. He isn't expecting me to do it on my own, to create a beautiful piece of art all alone, nor will he employ some sub-par artist to do the work. He is there. Through Him, I can do this. This trial will further my ability, make me more of the person God knows I can be.
So I'll lean on Christ and trust in God. I'll have faith in His skilled hands, in His plan for me. I'll become.

No comments:
Post a Comment