Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Moments Make Memories

I love alliteration.

Don't you?

Case in point: my blog name. I purposely came up with a name I could use alliteration for.

I'm cool like that.

Another case in point: this post title.

Moments make Memories.

Beautiful, yes? 

And so, so important to me.

I believe in small things. I believe in little moments that, when strung together, create a whole tapestry of memories that create the beauty in our past. Sometimes there are dark places on that tapestry, and we need them to even out, to make us appreciate, the golden, bright hues that make up the happiest moments.

I also believe in preserving those little moments. You see, I don't have the greatest of all memories. I tease Dan about having a bad memory, but sometimes I worry that I'm just as bad {or worse}. All the time someone will say, "Remember when [insert awesome memory here]?" and I just have to say, "Uhhhh......no?" Ugh. I hate those times. I really try to commit things to my memory.  Maybe I'm just not any good at getting that subconscious memory storage to hand over the goods when I want them. Whatever it is, I have to have things that help me remember.

This is one of the many reasons I love photography. I love capturing the little moments. I love going back through old photos and chuckling over the good memories that were made when those photos were taken. Yes, sometimes it's a pain to haul around my great big camera but every single time I do, I'm grateful.

I want to remember the Sunday we took Livie outside to enjoy being out and to play on the slide. I want to remember that rather than playing on the slide, we spent most of the time keeping her from eating rocks and that she made laugh so many times that night.
Great capture, no? And would you check out those eyes??



I want to remember the ward party where Dan was much more brave than I and rode the mechanical bull. I want to remember how awed, scared, worried, and awed again that Livie was as she watched her father being thrown around by something bigger than he is.

I want to remember the times when Livie tries to get my camera and when she doesn't succeed, she is heartbroken. I want to remember those moments not because any mother wants to see her child heartbroken, but because even as a baby, she just wants to be just like me. I need to remember that.
 I want to remember going to the most pathetic rodeo of my life. I don't want to remember because it was pathetic, but because in spite of it, I still had a wonderful time being with my wonderful husband and baby. Because watching Livie's excitement over everything going on is worth all the lame rodeos in the world.

I want to remember that Livie always folds her hands while she's in her highchair.

I want to remember the time she was so messy from eating her spaghetti and she thought it was just hilarious to be put into the bathtub with her pants on.


I want to remember our first hike as a family.
 



I have a lot of little moments I want to remember. Without these photos, I might have already forgotten about them, and every one of these memories was made within the past month. I'm so grateful I have something to help me preserve the moments that make my memories.

And I'm so grateful for posts that allow me illustrate my love for alliteration. :)

1 comment:

Brian and Kayla said...

Beautiful. I love the picture of her little hands.