I have been thinking a lot about these three words lately - mostly in how much they actually apply to life and how little motivation has to do with anything.
Now, don't get me wrong, motivation is a great thing. There have been so many times that some extrinsic motivator moved me along and encouraged me to accomplish what I needed to.
But I'm learning that having motivation isn't enough.
It isn't enough to actually make me change. Four years ago a friend convinced me to start walking with her every day. It was good for me. She motivated me. Every year after that I had someone to walk with who motivated me to get out of my house, to move.
Then this year I didn't start walking again when the weather got better.
Apparently having someone else help motivate me for four years didn't make me change.
I have a slew of excuses. I'm good at excuses. {Perhaps that's not something to admit?} My biggest excuse was not having a walking buddy. This is an even dumber excuse when you know that I know people I just didn't ask anyone to be my walking buddy. Lame lame lame.
Waiting for motivation sure hasn't gotten me anywhere.
I have a friend who is walking with me now. And boy, is she good for me. She pushes my limits. My heart has never worked so hard - and I have never felt so good about it. Yes, I have motivation in this friend.
But waiting for motivation isn't good enough. The truth is, I just have to do it.
Every morning I tell myself to just get out of bed. Otherwise I could sleep for a long time. Yes, I get tired, but I feel better than if I had stayed in bed. Every day I tell myself to just get my chores done. Otherwise, my cleaning schedule isn't a whole lot of help. Just Do It. Really, everything I accomplish every day is because I use a tiny bit of discipline to make myself just get it done.
I even did it this morning when we didn't go walking but I told myself to just do something else. So I did. 20 minutes of Pilates later, I feel loads better.
Now, this just do it principle works a whole lot better with help. I believe that God helps us accomplish anything if it really will be better for us. And I sure do believe that taking care of my body is better for me. I believe that eating healthier, exercise, getting enough rest, working hard - these are all good for me. And I tell you what, in my own experience, I believe God thinks so too. Every single time I ask God to help me to better about choosing to eat better or to help me take better care of myself and exercise regularly, He does. Every single time I ask for help, it becomes easier to just do it. 100% of the time. It's amazing. I promise.
This morning, a friend of mine posted this quote on her blog Be Inspired. It really says everything I've been rambling about in this post so well - and in a lot fewer words. It's so very true - I know it is.
Just a little side note: after writing motivation so many times for this post, it's beginning to look misspelled. :P

2 comments:
Hi Jessica Friend. It's amazing how this little word has impacted so many people lately. I have been thinking about it a lot as well as Pres. Uchdorfs talk last Saturday. I need to love me and be patient. All things will happen for a reason...boy I thought I have already learned this one...
love you!!
This is a great post. Just do it! It is so true. Keep it up girl! You're doing great :)
Post a Comment