Thursday, April 8, 2010

TTGI - #7

Yes, I know my TTGI has been on hiatus. I really am ever so sorry. For some reason, my Thursdays just always get away from me before I get to posting. Anyway, here is this week's idea.


Service Box
Visiting Teaching in one of my favorite things. I look forward to the new messages every month, to the chances to get to know and visit with other girls in my ward, and the opportunity to have some "built in" friends. It's been a blessing in my life. I also like knowing I can help the girls I visit teach. For the longest time, my companion and I would always ask the sisters we teach if there was anything we could do for them. Of course, they always said no. Why is it we can never think of anything nice that someone could do for us? I'm even bad at it. But people just don't ask for help. Anyway, I finally decided to try and do something about it . . . and the Service Box was born.
These are a couple pictures of my Service Box but the basic idea can be used in any way.

Essentially, you write or type up some "service" ideas on slips of paper and put them into some kind of container {a couple ideas we have is doing dishes, vacuuming the floor, driving them to the store, having a girls' night out, bake cookies, free babysitting}. Then when you go visiting teaching, you just have the girl choose a service that works for them and you do it before the month ends. The idea could also work for your family to do services for each other. I've taken this box with me almost every time I've gone visiting teaching since the idea was born {which has been almost two years I think}. It's amazing how much closer I've gotten to the girls I teach, to my companion, and how this box helps break the ice for them to ask for the things they really need.

No comments: