Saturday, October 18, 2008

To play or not to play?

We have lots of "little" neighbors. By little, I mean age 6 and younger. If I recall correctly, we have 10 ... and that is not including the 3 that just moved a week ago and the other neighbor girl who's 14. For the most part, our little neighbors are just the epitome of sweet, innocent children who never bother us (that is, without mentioning the discovery of crunched crackers on our doorstep or stickers on our cars). But the greatest thing about all these little neighbors are the play mates Dan and I have. The entire scenario began about 6 weeks back or so when our doorbell rang. Dan went to answer the door to find two of our little neighbors looking back up at him.
"Can your kids come out and play?" one of them asked.
"We don't have any kids," Dan replied (I can just imagine him thinking that that answer would stop any further questions ... haha).
"Oh. Well, can you come out and play?"
No amount of stalling or telling these children that we were boring grown-ups would convince them that we wouldn't be great play mates. Dan appeased them by saying he had to ask his wife (later these little play mates called me Dan's "mom" - I assume because he had to ask me for "permission to play") and then came to tell me that we had new friends who wanted to play (we found out that these children came to ring our doorbell "every day" but "no one would come to the door"). I suddenly felt guilty telling them we couldn't go out and play - I didn't honestly have a good enough reason to say no. That day we learned a new version of basketball that involves a beach ball, a plastic play house with the roof missing (as the "basket"), and teams set up rather unfairly as two boys against one girl. After that day, we thought we had them convinced that we really weren't any fun. . . .
Everyday after that my lovely little neighbors would beg us to go out and play with them again. They have figured out which vehicles we own so if they see both vehicles at the complex, they just know that we are home and as bored as they are without anyone to play with. Not exactly ready to get trashed again at the new game of basketball, I always tried to stall them by saying I was fixing dinner (days later I was informed rather pragmatically that I was "always busy with dinner and nothing else"). Eventually the doorbell stopped ringing. We thought we had shifted back into our solitary existence, when the doorbell rang today. Once again Dan went to the door. I him heard him talking to little voices and then he came back and said, "Do you want to go play?"
"No," I informed him. I was busily involved reading a book.
"Oh," Dan laughed. "Well, I told them I would go out and play with them."
Then my guilty conscious kicked in - I couldn't let my husband out-do me.
"Let me finish my book and then I'll come out," I told him through my begrudging attitude.
Moments later I was learning all kinds of fascinating things like horses are hatched from eggs and dinosaurs grow in their mommy's tummy, that a person can know someone once but then not know who they are anymore if you haven't seen them for a little while, and that lady bugs are "bad" if they have "different" spots. I played with Mrs. Mary, Leloni, and Sally (or was it Sarah?) the horses, but I never did do it right - I had to learn how by watching. And Dan was busy playing a renewed game of basketball and I endlessly heard the phrase, "You have to block me!!" usually followed immediately by, "That's not fair! You're too big!" coming from Dan's little play mate.

To play or not to play? When your conscience won't let you stay inside on a beautiful day reading a book, I suppose one is resigned to the latter.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahahaha! - Since I know your adorable little neighbors quite well, I am grateful that you are the one playing outside! That was dang good of you.

Jessica :) said...

Thanks! :D

I feel kinda silly asking this ... but how do you know my neighbors? Who are you? (it's probably a duh ... but my mind doesn't work this early in the morning)

Nikki said...

it's me, nikki...I just was signed in under a different email account....sorry to completely weird you out

Sally said...

How fun for you and Dan! I know Dan probably has more fun playing with the little kids than he will admit to! Secretly, I'm glad I am not in your situation, I think it would really bug me! :)

Jessica :) said...

Nikki: I knew I would feel silly asking! I was racking my brain trying to think of any nicholes I knew ... but I couldn't think of any! I'm not confused anymore.

Sally: I think Dan does like going to play outside. He loves kids and he loves being outside. But I think sometimes he gets frustrated with the doorbell ringing everyday or with being told he can't do something because he's "too big." I guess it's good for him! ;)

Amy said...

I heart little kids. I'm glad you get to play with them. My little siblings get to play with all our neighborhood kids...I'm jealous. ;) Although, sometimes Micah wants to play and I try to do it when I can, but sometimes I don't want to play another game of Uno or push him on the swing again or play Stratego. My dad's strategy is to lose as quickly as he can...;) He's pretty good at that. But then I remember that he won't be little for too much longer - and then he won't want to play or hang out with me. And we do have fun...most of the time.

Brad said...

Lol! That's hilarious. Angela and I don't have little neighbor children. They seem to be scarce in our neighborhood with the exception of a bunch of hispanic kids who play soccer in the church parking lot anyway. Sounds just like Dan to have fun playing with kids.

Jessica :) said...

Amy: I heart little kids too - and I agree that since they aren't going to be little for very long we should be grateful for who they are while they are little. That is part of what makes me feel guilty when I don't want to go outside and play. And then I tell myself that they aren't my children ... but then I feel even guiltier. Ha ... the irony of life!

Brad: You're right, it is just like Dan to enjoy playing outside with children!