Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Student Teaching

I started student teaching on the 19th of August, and so far, I love it! Right now (this week and next) I am out for Harvest Break. It’s kind of nice to have the break and relax a bit – and not have to get up so early! But I do love the teaching. I’m working Preschool through 12th grade (yes, for real), and with the band and choir. It’s a very well-rounded experience, which I’m grateful for. The junior high and high school are in the same building (one hall for JH and one hall for the HS), and the schedule is a little confusing because the JH kids have 42½ minute periods (and they have 12 classes!), while the HS has 90 minute periods. I imagine they’ve done that because some teachers (like my cooperating teacher) work with both schools and so the schedules have to be compatible somehow. But I still get confused on the schedule.

For the most part, the kids are all really good. I have a couple of trouble makers in the elementary school, and then the others are always really excited to do music time. The 6th grade beginning band is great – they are golden. I think they are still in awe of being in the “big-kids’ school” now! The JH band is difficult sometimes. My cooperating teacher says it’s the biggest JH band he’s ever had – we have 25 students. They aren’t bad, but they like to talk and they don’t like to practice. They complain a lot about how hard the music is and that they don’t know it, but they don’t seem to believe me that it would be easier for them if they would practice. Oh well. I suppose that’s a battle I have to face, thanks to the field I’ve chosen! ;) The HS choir is a challenge (it is slightly ironic that my hardest class is my one-and-only choir class since my specification was choral education). We have 22 students; twice as many sopranos as any other section; half of them have never been in choir before and don’t really want to be there (they just couldn’t get any other classes during that hour) and about 6 of the students can’t match pitch. It’s a challenge for me, but I think that’s a good thing. The HS band is amazing; they are the best HS school kids I’ve ever seen in my life. I’ve rented a trombone and I’m practicing it so I can play with the HS band when they play pep band music. I would also learn the concert music except that my cooperating teacher likes to play the baritone (like a mini tuba) and so I’m conducting all the concert pieces so he can play.

Anyway, that's how things are for now!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Thanks for the update- it's cool to see what kind of a day you have most days...;)

Hannah said...

42.5 minutes. Could they get any more confusing? How do you respond when kids are always asking when class is going to be out? That was hard for me and I had 65 minute classes... something much easier to work with. jajaja

Jessica :) said...

It's so hard. Even my cooperating teacher, who has worked with this schedule for 5 years, can't remember when he's supposed to let the kids go! We just guesstimate ... and hopefully give them enough time to put their instruments away so they aren't late to school! And it's not very much time either. 42 minutes=not enough time ... 90 minutes=too much time. But it's okay ... we make it work!